The joining of emotional health and contemplative spirituality takes us below the surface of our lives so Jesus can heal and transform.
What is challenging about “Going Back in order to Go Forward”? What defenses come up?
The critical need is summed up in two Biblical truths:
· The blessings and sins of our families (2-3 generations) profoundly impact who we are today.
· Following Jesus as His disciple requires putting off sinful patterns (some learned from our families of origin) and relearning how to do life God’s way in God’s families. (Transformation)
Rom. 12 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
What are some of the commandments, rules or invisible scripts you deal with in doing life?
What good news does Jesus bring to this transformation call?
· God intends for us to grow up into mature men and woman transformed by the presence of Jesus. We honor our parents, families, cultures and histories but we trust and obey God!
· Identity “in Christ” trumps all other identities! Way of life “in Christ” trumps all other ways of life!
· Forgiveness works! Grace works! Jesus made sure of it through His death and resurrection!
In Christ we can look through the present into the past to understand not condemn, for the healing of wounds not the repeating of pain! Unhealed wounds open us up to habitual sin against God and others and perpetual sadness for ourselves.
The Joseph Story – Genesis 37-51
Genesis 51 19 But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God?20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
Romans 8 28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
SOLITUDE, SCRIPTURE, AND PRAYER
Find a quiet place and 15 minutes.
Solitude – Spend several minutes quietly alone. Take some deep breaths… Just be… … …Ask, “Holy Spirit, speak to me through Your Word!”
Scripture – Read slowly, out loud if possible, listen, reread, dwell, notice words & phrases you are drawn to & return there! (Sermon notes may help with understanding, but don’t stop there.)
Keep asking, “Jesus, what are You saying? Why this word this day?
What are You asking me to believe about You and about me? How am I learning to Sync up?
How do I join You today on Your mission and in my transformation?”
Prayer – Let your conversation with God flow from what He is saying then talk about what you notice is on your heart and also on your list.
Monday – John 3:1-8
Tuesday – 2 Corinthians 5:16-21
Wednesday – Romans 12:1-2
Thursday– Genesis 50:15-21
Friday – Romans 8:12-17, 28
Saturday – Psalm 121
Got questions? Continue the discussion. Follow the link @ https://goo.gl/Jd93J7